I decided to be neighborly and drop in on the Tea Party Express' Richmond 2010 Tea Party this evening and snap a few pictures, just to record the event for posterity. Just a few quick impressions and then I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
1. The crowd was of decent size. I estimate 1,200 to maybe 1,800 or so at its peak. Decent size, not giant.
2. The crowd was overwhelmingly white and above 50 years of age. I counted four black people . . . out of 1,200 to 1,800.
3. There seems to have been a real effort on the part of the Tea Party Express to tamp down on the overt racism, and it's definitely reflected in the signs. There were some signs reflecting violent imagery, rape, tarring and feathering, but nothing so over the top as has been seen in previous Tea Party demonstrations.
4. Kanawha Plaza was significantly more than half empty, as several of these pictures show.
5. The event started at 6:30PM and was supposed to last until 8:00PM, but by 7:15PM people were walking out.
Any other questions, drop me a line in the comments. Enjoy the Photos.